Friday, May 23, 2008

Donut Man (Glendora)


After a night of getting a pre-dinner of a hot Bobba tea drink with a side of spicy chicken, a full course dinner at Newport seafood, and a dessert of ice cream at Fosselman's Ice Cream. Believe it or not, there was actually more room in my belly.

The birthday boy wanted to put a capper to his birthday celebration by suggesting we should make a run for donuts. Not just any donuts, but strawberry donuts!

I'm skeptical towards donuts. It's not my kind of treat or snack as it's more for lazy couch potatoes and unmotivated slobs you seen in a Simpson's episode. I swored Chief Wiggum would make a perfect national spokesperson for donuts.

We hit up the 210 freeway (on its way to Vegas, in case you want to make a pit stop) and off the Grand St. exit. The street of Route 66 is a dark ghetto street at the middle of the night. We had to be on the lookout for a stand by itself donut stand with its own parking lot. It's hard to find on a dark street, but we did managed to track it down.

Once we found the stand, we were not alone in making a midnight run (I'm talking about 12:45 am in the morning when this occurred) for some tasty donuts. It's comforting for me to know that there are die hard donut fans at this late of the hour and we were not the only losers coming here this late.

The seasonal donuts right now is the strawberry donuts. What entails this tart attraction to this stand was the fact that they split a donut open like a hamburger bun and stuffed it with fresh strawberries that usually reserved for tarts or cupcakes. Then they lavished some sweet syrupy jam all over this delicious yummy monstrosity.


From Left (clockwork): Strawberry Donut, Raspberry Cheesecake, Chocolate donut with Bavarian Creme

Take a look at what I got the first time around, I went out and get a chocolate bomb like donut with a Bavarian creme inside. I also got a raspberry cream cheesecake.

After about maybe 8 minutes?...maybe more or less...I decided right then and there to order another strawberry donut. It's one of those impulse buying moment I had that I couldn't controlled myself. Yes, I'm a loser at this point and gave in to temptations. It's like I am going to be on a diet anytime soon.


From Top (clockwork): Strawberry Donut, Apple Crumble, Bear Claw

So I took another round of strawberry donut with a bearclaw and a apple crumble donut. Gluttony will not be the only sin I had to endure. I can see sloth in my future. These strawberry donuts are only seasonal just like strawberry would be. In the upcoming season, peach donuts are the next seasonal fruits to be part of the lore for this stand.

It's something that I don't know if I am going to cave in for. I just lose my self control as that night will attest. These donuts are damaging to my belief of self control. It's so worth it for $11 for these 6 donuts.

I'm faithful to Pineapple buns, but for one night I surrendered to Donut Man.

Donut Man
915 E. Route 66
Glendora, CA 91740
(626) 335-9111

Grade:

Donut Man on Urbanspoon

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Holy shite! An epic eating day capped off with 6 donuts? Pepsimonster, you are the King! LOL

Right Way to Eat said...

Hey Frederick,

You should have come with us that night!

Anonymous said...

I detest the reference to route 66 in Glendora as ghetto, try the other city down, Azusa, now THAT'S ghetto.

the peach donuts by far are worth a revisit, though hopefully it's not too "ghetto" for you.

Right Way to Eat said...

Hi Anon,

Nothing is "too" ghetto for me. In fact, ghetto is not a bad thing or a negative term. Azusa is a cool city, not any different than Glendora.