Friday, December 19, 2008

A Dessert to forget @ Bon Gelato (Cerritos)


No new info to offer on shaved ice to anyone. However, I just want to show everyone what I got for dessert in my recent trip to my old neighborhood.

After a very dissatisfying meal at a Shabu Shabu place, a couple of my lovely dining companions and I decided to cleanse our tongues from an unfortunate disaster. We hoped that by ordering desserts at an ice cream shoppe that was about 20 steps away will end the night more properly.

Boy, when our luck is bad, it continues to go bad.

Bon Gelato as it was called was more of a tea shop/ice cream/whatever desserts they can come up with for their teenage clientele. Everything from frozen yogurt to shaved ice would be sludge away for our fine young future minds. When I walked inside, a fear hits me that there's a possibilty that I will be the oldest citizen in this establishment. Luckily for me, no one else was here except for our party.

Then it did get me nervous on why we're the only ones here at 8pm when the shop would be closing at 10pm. We will find out why very quickly.

Looking at our shaved ice below, you can see that it comes in a Pyrex measurement cup. The monstrosity included Pebble cereal and some chewy candy mixed in with fruits (strawberries, watermelon, melon, kiwi, and mango) and a scoop of ice cream being lavished by slob of condensed milk. You say "yummy", I say "wow".

Actually I was speechless.

It was an utter disaster that lacked creativity in making this shaved ice. Yes, there is creativity involved and some real thought process on constructing a shaved ice with more plausible ingredients than a Pebble cereal that Fred Flintstone would not approved on a shaved ice.

It only cost me $6 to find it very unpleasing. The two lovely gals didn't want to finish that as I was the only trooper that didn't want to waste his $6. One of us also ordered a frozen yogurt that was no way near Tart. That was very forgettable as well.

I can't say this was the worst dessert I ever had in 2008, but it was such a weird concoction that only a picture can speak for itself.

Bon Gelato
13309 Artesia Blvd
Cerritos, CA 90703
(562) 407-2474

Grade:

Bon Gelato on Urbanspoon

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Was this Korean shaved ice? Sometimes, I really don't care for the cereal in the pa bing su, but at least put it in a better looking serving bowl!

Right Way to Eat said...

Hey Danny,

Let's just say my two lovely Korean pals did not want to acknowledge that as a Pat Bing Su. With the condense milk, it does not feel like it was at all either. The shop is Korean-owned, but that doesn't mean the shaved ice was authentic pat bing su.

It is unique, I got to give them credit for that.

Anonymous said...

Wow, it's worse than Ice Kiss on 6th? :P

Me-Me King said...

I'm afraid I'd be so stunned by the presentation, I wouldn't take one bite. I've never seen anything like this - and, the serving bowl - lol!

Right Way to Eat said...

Hi Danny,

A lot worse than Ice Kiss! Hey... I like Ice Kiss. The coffee was good that night and I never had a problem with shaved ice before.

...not until Bon Gelato.

Hi Me-Me King,

I wouldn't blame you for the shock. I was stunned myself and I didn't want to waste my money by just throwing the dessert away. My companions stopped eating after the initial 4 spoonful of scoops.

It was not enjoyable or pleasing to the eye at all.