Thursday, January 15, 2009

Found A Better Dumpling Alternative @ Kingburg Kitchen (San Gabriel)


eff'd the Noodle House!!

Some people want to remember the famous rally cries of "Remember the Alamo" or if you grew up in the 80's with N.W.A., you'll distinctly remembered "Fu*k da Police!".

For me, it was the bland, dull taste of some steamed buns and dumplings that made me cried out "eff'd the Noodle House!!".

For some time, I had been looking out for another made-to-order buns & dumpling places, but with a lot better results. This place along with Quiang Diao Bread Food were my next stops to wash away the dreaded taste of buns from the Noodle House.

The Kingburg Kitchen to my surprise had been opened for business at almost one year, yet I didn't heard about them until recently. I guess they flew under the radar because of being over shadowed by Luscious Dumplings and Golden Deli from nearby plazas. This place does have the look of a seafood shack or maybe an Italian restaurant due to a fantastic looking ceiling above that reminded me of a poorer version of Sistine Chapel.

The greatest joy I can ever take at any restaurants was that prices are cheap, yet the value of the item exceed the price. Yes sir, this place was cheap. Uber cheap!

Someone posted the menu on the profile where you can read that for $7, you can get the choice of noodles plus 5 juicy dumplings for your combo meal. Most of the time, people are intimidated from ordering a plate of dumplings because ten units would be too much. By only getting a sampling order of dumplings with a bowl of noodle is quite awesome. It's practically getting a bowl of noodle and pay 50 cents extra to getting dumplings. This is an awesome bargain you must partake.

Boiled Pork Celery Dumplings

There are four different types of noodles for you can order from for your combo. One which was the knife cut noodle (skinny thin noodle), dan dan mein (spicy pole noodle), chicken mushroom noodle soup , and the ever popular spicy beef noodle soup .

Spicy Beef Noodle Soup

For once, I was happy that a place that serve noodles is good at something they were suppose to do. The noodle and the broth was in much better form and smoother texture. Not too salty for me on this front and not too spicy because of chili. This was done just right.

Chicken Noodle Soup

The biggest praise I will give them where the Noodle House failed miserably was for their buns. Check these beauties out. One great thing was that the dough wasn't too thick and it still retained the juice when you took a bite of it. The pan fried ones are much quicker to made than the steamed ones. I highly suggest getting the pork, cucumber, and shrimp buns as those suckers disappeared within minutes.


Fried Pork Buns

The fried onion cake is not as big compared to the other restaurants, but the crispy cake is still a good starter before your meal.


Fried Green Onion Cake

All of the dishes are priced reasonably well as you will get a satisfactory full meal that will cost less than $10 before tips. I would strongly consider getting their noodle & dumplings combo with a side order of their steam or pan fried buns.

Make sure you placed the buns early if you wish to make an additional purchase as they can take a good 15-20 minutes to make these buns. Considering it's only a two worker operating the kitchen at this restaurant.

This is one of the better hidden restaurant in Las Tunas Dr. Skip over the over-hyped Luscious Dumplings and come here instead for a full satisfy meal. Think of this catchphrase when you are craving for some baoz (buns).... eff'd The Noodle House!!


Kingburg Kitchen
715 W Las Tunas Dr
San Gabriel, CA 91776
(626) 282-2386

Grade:

Kingburg Kitchen on Urbanspoon

Kingburg Kitchen in Los Angeles

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I effing LOVE this place. 2-3 times a week man for me, 2-3 times a week you'll see me here. LOL

Right Way to Eat said...

Hey Danny,

2-3 times? Damn! Hit me up and I might join you there one of these nights.

Anonymous said...

LOL, it's been awhile since we caught up bro.

Are you going to try Noodle House again? I don't mind eating there with you sometime :)

Right Way to Eat said...

Hey Danny,

It's been a long time. How are you doing? Got back from SF?

Kingburg or Noodle House is fine with me. I'll probably hit you up next week or so. Hit me up when you are free!

Wandering Chopsticks said...

You blaspheme! Luscious Dumplings has my favorite potstickers!

Unknown said...

Hope your dinner last night was good.

SF was good, but kinda boring =(

Next week is fine, maybe Wednesday? Let me know if that works for you.

Right Way to Eat said...

Hi Wandering Chopstick,

Postickers? How about the steamed dumplings or the boiled dumplings? I'll tell you all about it in your review.

Hi Danny,

I'll contact you before Wednesday about my availability. Sorry you missed out on the Duck, but a Budha chicken was krazzzay!